Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Apparently I'm An Official Wikipedia Editor

A few weeks ago, I took it upon myself to edit the Wikipedia entry about Ichiro Suzuki. I read Wikipedia articles every day. yet had never taken the opportunity to edit one, even though I often feel that there can be some improvements.

At the time, Ichiro had just hit his 4,257th professional hit, which technically means that he had more hits than Pete Rose (albeit in separate leagues). This became a pretty big story in sports media for a few days, but I discovered that the controversy over Rose and Ichiro was not mentioned in the Wikipedia article. I decided that this was important enough to be included in the article, and added the information myself.

Apparently, those who read/edit Wikipedia agree with me, as the changes I made to the article are still there today. I made the changes 3 weeks ago, so I think they've lasted long enough to where I can be confident that they will not be removed.

Ichiro Suzuki is an international star, so I would imagine that his page gets quite a bit of traffic every day. With that being said, its pretty cool to think that thousands of people have read the words that I added to the article. I will not hesitate to make additions/edits to Wikipedia articles in the future, as I now know that I am competent at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment